- They overthink everything
- They’re impatient
- Should I train chest with back or shoulders?
- Should I supinate my hands at the top of the curl?
- Should I eat 30 or 35g protein per meal?
1. Train 4 Days A Week
You grow when you are out of the gym, not inside.
2. Focus On Big, Compound Exercises
The meat and potatoes of your training should be based on compound exercises like squats, chin-ups, dips, presses, rows and deadlift variations.
- Suit your mechanics
- Be pain-free
- Allow you to feel the muscle at all times
If you fill 80% of your training with these exercises, you can fill the remaining 20% with isolation exercises like curls, abs, lateral raise variations etc.
3. Pay Attention to Progressive Overload
Most skinny guys stay skinny because they never focus on actually getting stronger.
They just mindlessly pump away on the latest Flex Magazine workout with no thought to progression over time.
The body doesn’t like building muscle – it’s not efficient.
If you’re naturally skinny, this applies even more. Which is why you need to force your muscles to adapt with increased overload.
You need to focus on either adding weight or doing more reps with the same weight.
I can guarantee that if you’re squatting 60kg for 10 reps now, when you can squat 100kg for 10 reps you’ll be a bigger person.
4. Use Perfect Form
Progressive overload always comes with a caveat.
It only counts if you maintain perform form, execution and muscular tension.
5. Train Each Muscle Group At Least Twice A Week
If you’re really weak and skinny, you don’t need body part splits.
6. Use A Low to Moderate Amount of Volume
If you’re a skinny guy who’s been following the muscle mag workouts, you’ve probably been hammering way too much volume.
Your workouts have most likely been along the lines of…
And so on and so on.
Not only are you now going to train each body parts twice a week, but you’re also going to slash the volume in half. Probably more.
Of all the advice in this article, this will be the one tip that throw skinny guys off. Yet it’ll probably be the one that reaps the most rewards.
By keeping the volume lower, you’re able to 1) train more frequently and 2) allow the body to recover to continuously get stronger.
7. Use The Right Rep Ranges
The magic rep range for skinny guys looking to build muscle is 6 to 8 reps.
This rep range works so well because it allows the perfect blend of maximal muscle recruitment / tension as well as metabolic stimulus.
Skinny guys are typically also weak, which means working excessively in the 8 to 12 rep range won’t provide much muscle recruitment / tensions.
Until you’ve built a foundation of strength and muscle, staying in the 6 to 8 rep range is best.
When you’re a little more advanced, that’s when 8+ reps provide the most benefit.
And that’s when utilising heavy/light splits where you vary the rep ranges through the week can really accelerate your muscle building.
8. Don’t Abuse Training To Failure
If you want to stay healthy and make progress over a long period of time, you need to train hard, but also smart.
9. Stick With ONE Program For At Least 12 Weeks
Muscle building is a marathon, not a sprint.
Which means people are jumping from program to program every week.
One week it’s 10×10, the following week is 5×5, then it’s DC training, followed by Jay Cutler’s Olympia routine.
If there’s one thing you take from this, it’s that you need to ‘buy in’ to ONE program that fits your personality, and then stick with it for AT LEAST 12 weeks.
10. Maximise Recovery
Coming back in full circle..
Start prioritising high quality sleep every night. Eat in a consistent calorie surplus with the right foods. Reduce stress. Get massages and stay on top of soft tissue work.