A Kilo Of Meat A Day
Especially when the icon of fitness, Arnold Schwarzenegger, famously said to Sylvester Stallone in Escape Plan “you punch like a vegetarian”.
The 3 Year Transition To A Plant-Based Diet
My search for more productive living meant I decided to only have meat with my dinner, opting for eggs and whey protein based meals in the day.
It was at this same time I started to think, “Surely eating a kilo of meat a day can’t be good for me, or the world, long-term?”
Especially when a close friend of mine, who also happened to be a guinea pig for my training strategies as well as a training partner, turned vegan overnight around the same time.
That was a huge wake up call, because he was also someone I loved to frequent steakhouses with. For someone who loved fitness as much as I did, who ate as much meat as I did, and who cared about his gains as much as I did, turning vegan overnight made me sit up and think.
- How I set up a plant-based diet for optimal body transformation
- How I set up a training programme on a vegan diet
- The supplements I used to augment my vegan diet
- How I got shredded on a vegan diet - week by week breakdown
- How the vegan diet impacted my lifestyle
- The results of my vegan diet
- The challenges of switching to a vegan diet
- What I’ve learnt about vegan diets for fitness goals
- What’s next on my vegan journey
Setting Up A Vegan Diet For Optimal Body Transformation
- Option 1: 220g tofu, 50g beans or lentils, 50g rice, tons of veggies
- Option 2: 50g tempeh, 50g high protein pasta (edamame or lentil based), 50g beans or lentils, 50g rice, tons of veggies.
- There are a few other options I have in the rota, but more experimenting here, so it’s not as consistent.
- Eliminating eggs and swapping in tofu scramble (which tastes so good that it’s made me wonder why I was so hesitant to drop eggs!)
- Tightening up measurements and meals out so my calorie and macronutrient intake was spot on, versus in an approximate range. This switch is arguably the biggest when you go from “lifestyle maintenance” year round, to pursuing “aggressive fat loss”. Dialling in the details is all that really changes.
Starting Point - January 3rd, 2022
Despite this, I still needed to lose approximately 10kg to get absolutely shredded on a vegan diet. And anyone who’s done this before knows the last 10kg are infinitely harder than the first 10kg!
Setting Up A Training Programme On A Vegan Diet
Starting Activity Targets On A Vegan Diet
Supplements On A Vegan Diet
My supplement stack for this #RoadToVeganShredded consisted of:
- Plant-Based Protein Powder. 60-70g a day depending on the phase of the diet.
- Creatine Monohydrate. 5g a day intra workout.
- BCAAs. 10-15g a day intra workout.
- Vitamin D3. 4000IU a day.
- Multivitamin. 1 cap a day.
- Algae Omega 3s. 800mg EPA + DHA a day (2 caps)
- You can use the code RNT20 on Optimum Nutrition US and UK stores for 20% off.
- Enter “Akash Vaghela” at checkout or use this link to get 20% off the Vegetology store.
How I Got Shredded On A Vegan Diet - Week By Week Breakdown
2 Weeks In, 17th January, 77.7kg
3 Weeks In, 24th January, 77.4kg
4 Weeks In, 31st January, 76.6kg
5 Weeks In, 7th February, 75.8kg
6 Weeks In, 14th February, 74.8kg
- Despite dropping bodweight, I was still hitting PRs in the gym, which means I was still in a nice zone of gaining strength.
- I was extremely productive, effective and efficient in my work, with minimal overthinking and anxiety.
- My libido, energy, hunger and satiety were all in great ranges.
7 Weeks In, 21st February, 73.7kg
8 Weeks In, 28th February, 73.5kg (Diet Break)
9 Weeks In, 7th March, 73.6kg
10 Weeks In, 14th March, 72.1kg
11 Weeks In, 21st March, 71.7kg
12 Weeks In, 28th March, 70.4kg (Grind)
13 Weeks In, 4th April, 69.4kg
- Training is as is, but now I’m keeping a few reps in the tank to enable recovery.
- No changes in rep ranges, structure, shocks, or new ‘pump’ stuff. All this does is create excess inflammation that is noticeable when lean.
- No weird manipulation of salt, water or diuretics. Remember, if you think you’re ‘holding water’, it’s body fat!
- Fats have doubled today for 3 days to fill up some IMTGs (intramuscular triglycerides) which should allow the ‘look’ to hold better post carb load.
- Carb loading will begin aggressively on Wed giving us time to clear up any spillage. Fats minimal. Lots of simple easy digestible carbs!
- Last leg session will be Tuesday. Right now they feel numb and like lead and they need recovery to allow them to pop come shoot day. Tapering steps + cardio from tomorrow will help too.
- Friday onwards is still TBD depending how the load goes. (What I ended up doing is written above).
- Aiming to keep workload + stress levels light this week to maximise recovery. Need to get my sleep back on track as the last few days have been rough since getting sub 70kg.
- Be in shape.
- Keep it simple.
- Relax, let your body recover and know that if you’re in shape, the hard work is already done.
14 Weeks In, 11th April, 70.7kg
This is my favourite picture captured on the day; the black and white effect brings a statue-esque feel to it!
Why This Vegan Diet Has Been The Best Yet
Myth Busting A Vegan Diet
The Challenges With Making The Switch To A Vegan Diet
How You Can Be More Plant-Based And Keep Your Gains
- Legumes, beans and pulses
- Tofu and tempeh
- Rice, soy or pea protein powders
What’s Next On My Vegan Fitness Journey
Are You Next?
- Optimising Health, Fat Loss & Muscle Building On A Vegan Diet
- Can You Get SHREDDED On A Vegan Diet? | Akash Vaghela’s Road To Vegan Shredded
- A BRUTAL VEGAN Leg Workout (I couldn’t walk for a week!) | Road To Vegan Shredded
- The Sad Truth About The Meat You’re Eating For Protein | Road To Vegan Shredded
- How To LOSE FAT WITHOUT Terrifying Diets Or Suffering | Road To Vegan Shredded
- MEAT vs PLANT-BASED - MY 14 WEEK EXTREME TRANSFORMATION | Akash Vaghela’s Road To Vegan Shredded
- Akash Vaghela’s 2017 Bodybuilding 21 Week Prep Write Up
- Quarterly Insights Part 3, Instalment I – Akash’s Photoshoot Prep, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide To Reverse Dieting And Avoiding Fat Regain
- Stop Messing Up Your Peak Week