- Nail their nutrition.
- Train with weights 3-5 times a week.
- Get enough steps each day/week.
- Get good quality sleep most of the time.
- Do some extra cardio.
Having transformed thousands of lives around the world, we’ve found the exact seven commonalities that you need to embody in order to not only get into the shape of your life, but stay there for life.
Let’s dive in (in no particular order)!
1. They Are Intrinsically Motivated
“I don’t eat well because it’s going to make ME the envy of everyone at the party, I eat well because of how it makes you feel and function as a high performer.”
“I don’t train to just look good in a tight shirt, I train because of the structure, mental clarity and love for challenging myself on a regular basis.”
“I don’t walk to hit my “quota” for the day, I walk because I simply enjoy walking for its own sake.”
Before you think “Damn, I am one shallow mofo” don’t stress, these things do not just happen overnight. For many RNTers such as Karan Joshi, these behaviours take time to manifest but it would be wise to start viewing how all these positive behaviours impact you that go outside of just aesthetics.
“It all starts with taking care of yourself. You have to be at your best and only then will you be able to deal with whatever life throws at you. I have made this commitment to training because going to the gym helps me clear my mind. When I’m having a hard time, training helps me calm down and I instantly feel better about it. It is my release. 2020 was such a hard year with the pandemic and everything, I think if it wasn’t for training I would have lost my mind!” - Karan
2. They Take Action Consistently
- Visualising who they want to be.
- Saying mantras in the mirror.
- Telling everyone that “this is finally the time I change”.
- Listening to motivational quotes.
- Reading more self development books.
It feels good doing those things at the time but at the end of the day, nothing changes and you continue spinning your wheels looking for the next motivational talk, book or guru promising you the world.
Can all of those things help? Sure, but only when combined with the action steps that truly make a difference. With all of the above, you are trying to use the mind to change the mind when in fact, you would be better off changing your mind through your body (or physical self).
“You can't change the mind with the mind alone, or we'd all be enlightened.” — Wendy Palmer.
Want to improve your mindset and confidence? Lose the excess weight through:
Eating in a caloric deficit to elicit a 1-1.5% drop in BW per week.
Training hard with weights 2-4 times a week.
Being active throughout the day: Aim for 8-10k steps per day at a minimum
Prioritising sleep: 6.5-8 hours per night.
Staying on top of hydration.
You taking positive physical action in the right direction does so much more for your mindset than the examples mentioned above. Why? Because you’re proving to yourself that you actually can change vs just talking about it.
The rule of ‘ruthless consistency’ was followed to the ‘T’ by RNTer Sanjeeta. A single mother of two young girls. She had totally lost her sense of self worth and was at a really low point in her life when she came across RNT on social media. Her instinct told her this was what she desperately needed and decided to take the plunge.
Today, Sanjeeta or Sanj as we call her works at RNT as a coach and her life has totally transformed. Training is her corner stone without which she feels out of control, she relies on the routine she has created to make sure she never goes back to her old self. And she never will, once you know what good feels like, you never want to go back.
3. They Plan Ahead
The more decisions and processes we can automate throughout our week, the more successful we are going to be in whatever endeavour we set our eyes on. Another common trait we have seen across all successful RNT transformations is the ability to plan and know exactly:
- What they are eating.
- When they are eating.
- When they are exercising.
- When they are going to sleep and waking up.
- How they are going to get their steps in.
- What challenges they need to work around.
We want everyone to get “in and out” of their process phase and only diet for as long as they need to (dropping between 1-1.5% BW per week) so they can start living the life they have always wanted without worrying about dieting ever again. For this to occur, planning is essential and should form the backbone of any body transformation.
To see just how impactful this can be, check out how Suraj stayed on top of everything to achieve his crazy transformation!
4. They Are Adaptable & Find Solutions, Not Excuses
- A busy morning causes us to forget to bring our lunch.
- We need to stay late at work, meaning we cannot train that evening.
- We slept in, missing our morning session.
- We need to attend a last minute business meeting at an unknown restaurant.
- The meeting went longer than expected, causing us to miss our scheduled meal.
Interestingly, we don’t seem to take this same approach to other aspects of our lives when things go wrong. The best analogy we like to use here is if you’re driving down the road and you pop a tyre, the logical answer here is to simply fix or replace that tyre and continue driving towards your destination, NOT pop all the other tyres, blow up the engine and roll it off a cliff.
This “all or nothing” attitude can really mess people up because unless you live in a vacuum with no outside responsibilities or obligations, life is always going to mess with your plans to some degree.
As annoying as the above situations might be, by being adaptable you can continue moving forward. You understand that just because you forgot your lunch or need to go to a restaurant, doesn’t mean you cannot find something healthy to eat that aligns with your goals.
Every place you go to (even McDonalds) offers a low calorie dish with some sort of lean protein and vegetables. You do not have to have appetisers, desserts or drinks.
Parents or friends cooking up a big feast and there is literally nothing in line with your goals? Have a protein shake prior to going and consume a small portion of whatever they have on offer.
Is it ideal? No, but it’s much better than popping all of your tyres and destroying your entire vehicle!
Busy mum of three Arwinder felt she had no time to focus on herself, but she knew she had to make the time so she could stop feeling weak and lethargic. She wanted to lead by example and be a positive influence on her family. To do that, she had to make her needs a top priority, not buried under a never-ending list of chores.
She adapted and found ways to work around her hectic schedule and through her RNT journey she lost 27kgs. She is now a completely new person, she has abundant energy to live life to the fullest and on her own terms!.
5. They Want To Learn
Our goal with everyone that we work with is to give them an “MBA” in understanding their own bodies. In fact, it’s so important to us that we made it one of our core components of RNT Pro as we have seen a huge difference in people who want to be educated vs just blindly following a plan with no understanding of how things work.
Education doesn’t mean memorising every enzymatic step of the Krebs cycle, being able to regurgitate every detail about protein or talk about advanced hypertrophy concepts. Knowing facts is great, but how you apply those facts is far more important as it transfers to real life results.
In our view, real education in self care comes down to the following points:
- Taking an interest in all the aspects that can practically help you make better decisions.
- Always asking why. You should know why you’re doing everything you’re doing!
- Being able to learn from mistakes.
- Figuring out what works for you and what doesn’t through trial and error.
- Having an overall curiosity for getting the most out of yourself.
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own.”
6. They Deal With Stress Effectively
7. They Keep Themselves Accountable & Surround Themselves With Like Minded People
- Daily dashboard entries and streaks
- Weekly Progression Checklist with questions to answer
- 2x Weekly Q&A opportunities with our expert team
- Accountability from coaches if you miss 1% bodyweight expectation (fat loss only)
- Accountability from coaches if you don’t fill in your dashboard
- Our Transformation Challenges (with massive prizes to be announced!)
- They Are Intrinsically Motivated
- They Take Action Consistently
- They Plan Ahead
- They Are Adaptable & Find Solutions, Not Excuses
- They Want To Learn
- They Deal With Stress Effectively
- They Keep Themselves Accountable & Surround Themselves With Like Minded People